Business Meeting Minutes
USAIN Special Business Meeting Minutes January 14, 2000
USAIN President, Barbara Hutchinson, welcomed members present to the meeting. Upon determining that a quorum was present the Special Meeting to vote on the by-laws changes was called to order.
Since the Secretary/Treasurer was absent, D. Farmer agreed to take minutes.
President Hutchinson introduced the members of the By-laws Committee Barbara Hutchinson, Amy Paster and Kay Mowery. Kay Mowery briefly reviewed the proposed changes and responded to the two following questions/suggestions e- mailed to the committee.
- Article IV. Section 1. Question concerned the exact meaning of the sentence "With the Secretary/Treasurer, the President shall sign all contracts and legal documents, unless otherwise determined by the Council." It was explained that the committee understood this language to mean that either the President or the Secretary/Treasurer can sign, or both can sign or the Executive Council can appoint someone to sign any legal documents and contracts.
- This actually had three parts:
- In Article III. Section 2, the questioner requested that the sentence "Of the six Directors, at least one shall be employed by a land-grant or 1890 university and ..." be revised to read "Of the six Directors, at least one shall be employed by a land-grant or 1890 or 1903 university ..." Since this would be more restrictive than the proposal on the table, parliamentary rules require that if the membership wishes to adopt the more restrictive language that a new by-laws change with this language be brought to the membership.
- In the interests of brevity and clarity that "Nominations and Elections Committee" be changed throughout the document to read "Nominations/Elections Committee". It was explained that should the membership wish to do so, this could be handled by an amendment from the floor during the meeting.
- In Article IV. Section 5 , that the sentence "Directors shall also perform such other duties as the President or the Council may assign." be changed by removing the word 'such' (as it is not really necessary) to read "Directors shall also perform other duties as the President or the Council may assign." This change should be handled as in b) above.
President Hutchinson explained to the membership that there were two options for voting on the by-laws a motion to accept the changes in mass, or individual motions to accept each proposed change. The membership present voted unanimously in favor of accepting the changes in mass.
K. Mowery moved for the committee that the proposed by-laws changes be accepted as presented. The floor was opened for discussion.
L. Mesner moved that "Nominations and Elections Committee" be changed in all instances in the By-laws to "Nomination/Elections Committee. Seconded by H. Smith. There was unanimous approval from the floor.
Discussion then moved to the second sentence of Article 5. Section 1. reading "They may also be held in conjunction with conferences of the American Library Association and/or the Special Libraries Association." Officers in the future may not be librarians. We should not restrict business meetings only to library associations. L. Mesner moved and K. Mowery seconded that this sentence be changed to read "They may also be held in conjunction with conferences of the American Library Association, the Special Libraries Association, and/or other appropriate professional organizations." The motion was unanimously approved.
The wording of the first sentence in Article V. Section 1 came under discussion. D. Boden moved and A. Ezzo seconded that this sentence be changed to read "Business meetings of the Network will be held at program meetings of the Network." This action would remove the phrase 'national or regional conferences' which appeared in parentheses before 'meetings' in the proposed language. There was unanimous approval for the motion.
The question was then called. The proposed By-laws changes as amended were unanimously approved.
The meeting adjourned.
Submitted by Diana Farmer