President's Annual Report 2002-2003
Dear USAIN Members,
It was my honor and privilege to serve USAIN as President from June 2002 through May 2003. I would like to express my appreciation to all who helped USAIN to continue to be an active, successful organization by serving on committees, interest groups, special projects and conference planning. I was just a very small part of a wonderful group of colleagues. You have my continued admiration.
USAIN Highlights of 2002-2003
- The 2003 USAIN Conference in Champaign , Illinois was held April 25 th -28 th with the theme "Agricultural Information for the New Millennium: New Crops, Biotechnology, and Saving the Past ". My sincere thanks go to Pat Allen and Katie Clark, our local hosts, for putting together a wonderful conference.
- During the Awards Dinner at the Conference the following were presented:
- Service to the Profession Awards went to Kay Mowery , and posthumously to James Horsfield .
- Conference Scholarships were awarded to Eleanor Smith , North Carolina State University , and Sarah Williams , Illinois State University.
- The Conference Post-Meeting Final Program with links to PowerPoints, conference snapshots, as well as biographies of invited speakers, may all be accessed from the USAIN website.
- Carla Casler , USAIN Webmaster, continued to update and improve the USAIN web site with input from the Communications Committee. There was a 45% increase in the number of hits during the year.
- USAIN had an 87% member retention rate, with 2 new Institutional members and 7 members in the new pilot student membership category.
- The Executive Council decided to continue the print membership directory.
- The purchase of new USAIN pins was approved. They will be sent to current members, then to new members ONLY. Replacements will be available for $10.
- Twenty-seven states have participated so far in the Preservation of the Literature of Agriculture, a National Endowment for the Humanities supported project of USAIN, now in the midst of Phase IV. Recruitment has now finished for Phase V.
- The Manuscripts and Archives Project, begun by Wally Olsen and carried on by Tim Lynch , is almost complete.
POTENTIAL JOINT AGREEMENT w/ IAALD
Two possible areas for formal agreement between IAALD and USAIN are publication and membership. The Executive Council approved an expression of interest and asked Toni Greider to pursue the matter and present a formal proposal to USAIN.
- The IAALD XITH World Congress/USAIN Biennial Conference , with the theme "The Globalization of Information: Agriculture at the Crossroads" will be held in Lexington , Kentucky , Radisson Plaza Hotel, May 15-21, 2005.
- Cornell University has expressed an interest in hosting the USAIN Conference in the Fall of 2006.
- USAIN plans to move its Conference to even years to avoid conflict with ACRL.
- The USAIN Executive Council, acting on a recommendation from the Awards and Honors Committee, increased the amount for the two Conference Scholarships and approved the implementation of a Conference Scholarship for a Student Member.
- The Executive Council submitted comments on behalf of the USAIN membership supporting the recommendations of the Interagency Panel for the Assessment of the National Agricultural Library.
- Executive Council Meetings were held at the June 2002 ALA meeting and at the USAIN Conference.
- USAIN/NAL/AgNIC Updates were given in conjunction with 2003 ALA Midwinter and SLA Conferences.
I would like to extend my thanks to all who served USAIN in various capacities during the year, including:
- Jodee Kawasaki - President-Elect
- Norma Kobzina - Secretary/Treasurer
- Amy Paster - Past-President
- Second year Directors - Katie Clark, Heather Moberly and Dana Smith
- First year Directors - Patrick Brennen, Carla Casler and Alesia McManus
- Awards and Honors - Jodee Kawasaki
- Budget Taskforce - Eileen Herring
- Bylaws - Amy Paster
- Communications - Pat Wilson
- Legislative and Government Relations - Barbara Hutchinson
- Membership - Bonnie Avery
- Nominations/Elections - Amy Paster
- 2003 Conference Planning - Pat Allen and Katie Clark
- Preservation Special Project - Mary Anderson Ochs
Interest Group Conveners:
- AgNIC - Barbara Hutchinson and Margaret Mellinger
- AGRICOLA - Heather Moberly and Karl Schneider
- Collection Management - JoAnn DeVries and Allison Level
- Technology Trends - Valerie Perry and Pat Wilson
- Social Issues/Rural Information - Margaret Merrill and Tim McKimmie
In closing, I wish to extend my congratulations to the incoming Executive Council members:
- President - Jodee Kawasaki
- President-Elect - Pat Wilson
- Secretary/Treasurer - Eileen Herring
- Incoming Directors - Debbie Curry, Heather Moberly and Mary Ochs
Many thanks for all of your help.
Dana W. R. Boden
USAIN President, 2002-03